Thursday, May 18, 2006

Spring Series Race 2... Rained Out



I got down at the boat at 2:00 pm. Started my prep. Skies were still relatively clear; there was some cloud cover coming in but nothing to worry about. Had one of the crew help me up the mast to fix the broken windex. Back to the dock and waited for more crew before we started hanking on the sails and flaking the spinnaker.

Huge downpour started about 4:30 and lasted till about 6:50 (race time) lightning all around. I kept watching the wind. The storm was coming from the Northwest, but all the forecast predicted Southwest winds. To the Southwest....clear skies. So I waited and Waited. Finally we got the word the race was cancelled.

The crew was anxious to get on the water and at least have a go at a sail if there was no race. I was cautious because of the lightning. It had stopped raining for a good 1/2 hr. The skies looked good from the wind direction and now I could see a little bit of wind on the water so decided to go out.

Within 1/2 hour of getting on the water the winds picked up to about 15 knots...skies cleared and the winds continued to increase to about 25 knots. We did some drills around Mark 1 and called it a night after having an awesome sail.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Spring Series 2006 Race 2 preparation Stage 3 (race day)



Environment Canada Marine Forecast:
Wind southwest 10 to 15 knots increasing to 15 to 20 this afternoon then diminishing to 10 to 15 this evening. Mist patches. Scattered showers developing near noon. Risk of an afternoon or evening thunderstorm. Waves less than 1 metre building to near 1 late this afternoon. Outlook..Moderate to strong southwesterlies.

Wunderground Forecast:
This Afternoon | Southwest winds 10 knots or less becoming west. Showers with a chance of thunderstorms. Waves 2 feet or less.
Tonight | Southwest winds 10 knots or less becoming south. Chance of thunderstorms through early evening. Chance of showers. Waves 1 foot or less.



Looking at tthe forecast I think I can gain an advantage if I can grab the persistent shift to South. From the data so far looks like it will either be a 2:3:2:3 or 1:3:1:3 race either way I think we are starting at marker number 3.

Will have full details of the race to follow tomorrow or shortly after..

Monday, May 15, 2006

Spring Series 2006 Race 2 preparation Stage 2



The winds have been fairly steady and blowing nicely. My second weather check looks pretty ugly for Wednesday.... Reports 60% chance of rain and winds W. 15km/h. Accuweather reports "Clouds and sunshine with a shower; breezy. Winds from the WSW at 16 kph." I need to find out which forecaster is more accurate this year. Last year there were way too many differences in the basic forecast.


The mast is now up and tuned. We moved the mast to back to the J-dimension of 111 5/16th inch measurement (from the North sails tunign guide). Once completed we to k the boat out and tested everything under load and all seemed fine. Gray Jay survived the first winter in my hands. Nice to know! It is nice to know that each one of my ziploc baggies with written instructions was empty and there were none left over!! I hate spare parts!

All is good. The windex was damaged during the mast hoisting and the new traveller has been ordered. I don't think it will be in before Wednesday but hopefully it will.

I will check wind again and see if there is a better forecast tomorrow.