Monday, May 29, 2006

Spring Series 2006 Race 4 preparation Stage 1



So far it is not looking good for Wednesday night. The official forecast:

Wednesday
South winds less than 10 knots becoming southeast. Chance of showers and thunderstorms. Waves 1 foot or less.
Wednesday Night
Southeast winds less than 10 knots becoming south. Showers likely with a chance of thunderstorms.

Quick peak at the accuweather forecast shows a pretty slow moving low pressure front moving across the Canada. The 48 hr shows a small budge over 48 hours. I should know a little more tomorrow. will check to see if the front has progressed further than expected. If it has there is hope that the wind might pick up at least enough to race.

The best scenario here is if the jetstream takes a nose dive. The front will come closer to Lake Ontario and should pick the winds up.

I can always be optimistic!

Good news is the boat GPS is now functional so now I can download races and overlay and analyze the data more accurately. I have been relying on my mental picture of the races to create the data for my maps and race result diagrams. I was pretty accurate when I downloaded race 3 and compared it to the posted version. General course sailed (with the exception of one, maybe 2 tacks or gybes, was on the money. What was really apparent was the huge lift and wind change before rounding mark 4. The revised exported GPS data is here and the original analysis is here for comparison. Another neat bit of visual data was the massive pre-race jockey for position data that is collected and displayed from the GPS. Very neat to see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home